Managing Food Allergies and GI Stomach Issues
Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDN’s) can help identify foods that trigger adverse reactions, liberalize diets where possible, and meet nutritional needs to prevent deficiencies and protect your quality of life.
Food Allergies vs Food Sensitivities
It is very common for patients to feel as if they have food allergies, food intolerances or food sensitivities that require them to follow a special diet plan. These terms or labels are often used interchangeably. It is important to understand though, that allergies are very different than intolerances or sensitivities. With a food allergy, the body is making an immune response to the food, and this can be dangerous. With an intolerance or sensitivity, the body may just not be processing or digesting the food appropriately and this is not actually dangerous (although it can obviously be uncomfortable).
Food allergies are a reality for a number of people in the United States. It can be overwhelming to know how to maintain a healthy diet when foods need to be eliminated due to food allergies or intolerances. A great way to begin is to meet with a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) who can help you develop a healthy eating plan based on your specific needs.
If you have trouble digesting foods, experience uncomfortable stomach sensations, a Registered Dietitian Nutrition may help. We will first recommend that you see a gastroenterologist (GI) for a consult and testing that may reveal a medical diagnosis. Sometimes, that diagnosis is reflux, or irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) with specific guidance. This is where a RDN can help you identify the foods that you may or may not want to avoid in your diet.
We will use a variety of tools, including a questionnaire, food/symptom diary, and FODMAP toolkit to assist you on your journey to proper nutrition.
Diagnoses we treat with Medical Nutrition Therapy and Nutrition Counseling:
- Celiac disease
- Crohn’s disease
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Working With Ingrid Knight, RD & Associates, Inc.
- First, we discuss your unique individual needs and goals
- Next, we match you with the best Registered Dietitian suited to your needs
- Using evidence-based, science-backed medical information, we create for you an individual diet plan
- We’ll then provide on-going support; weekly, monthly, or as needed to optimize your success
- Verify your insurance to let you know if there is a copay or any patient responsibility
- Request medical records from your healthcare providers
- Provide status updates, or progress notes, to your healthcare providers as requested
- Share documents and tools with you through our secure portal
- Convenient scheduling with our portal or staff
- Telehealth, or we call telenutrition visits available for all residents of Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina and South Carolina, and some other states